The Baby Boomer generation is an important one. Those of us who were born between the years 1940 and 1960 are referred to as the “Baby Boomer” generation, and they’re nearly 80 million in number. That’s no small figure; the Baby Boomers are most definitely an important part of our society. What’s interesting, though, is that a lot of the time, Baby Boomers are known for having something of an aversion to newer technologies and advanced gadgetry. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s certainly an interesting standpoint, when one considers how swiftly and how thoroughly we’re entering an era where more and more things are “going digital.”
What’s more is that things aren’t really as stable or secure as they used to be. For most of their lives, the Baby Boomer generation has experienced a pretty good amount of stability. Sure, there was some unrest during the 1960s and 1970s — but the 1980s and 1990s that followed, when the Baby Boomers were really getting into their careers, were some of the most prosperous years the US has ever seen. These days, it can be tough to find a job, and large portions of the Baby Boomer generation have had to contend with things like layoffs and downsizing. If you’re a Baby Boomer, and are thinking about hitting the job market, you might be considering some computer training. You might be thinking about this even if you aren’t about to head out looking for some new work. We’ll talk about five reasons why computer training is a great idea for Baby Boomers.
1. You’ll Be Able to Look for More Work. Not only is computer training something of a requirement for a lot of jobs, but understanding how to use a computer will help you to actually look for more of those jobs in the first place. Everything is on the Internet these days, and that includes job postings. Many businesses won’t even list their job offerings in print, and will simply post them on a site like CraigsList. There are a ton of resources that are designed to help you find the specific job you’re looking for, and they can do so with a startling amount of efficiency. They’re all online, though, so you’re going to have to be familiar with a computer to use them.
2. You Can Connect with News and Information More Readily. Again, since we’re moving faster and faster into the Digital Age, everything is online. This includes a lot of information, and when you can learn how to use the computer you’re going to be able to have a much easier time accessing it when you need to. News, information, media, movies, television — anything you can imagine is online. You’ll have access to a lot of what’s going on in the world if you can get yourself familiar with the computer.
3. You’ll Be Able to Stay in Touch with Family and Friends. You have undoubtedly heard about “social networks” by now (after all, the term was used as the title of an Oscar-winning film two years back), as they’re a huge part of the Internet. There are more of them than you can shake a stick at, but this can mean that you’ll be able to connect with your friends, family, and the people about whom you really care. With your new computer skills, you’ll be able to hop on a site like Facebook and reconnect with people you might not have seen in years.
4. You’re More Employable. Once you’ve learned all about how to use the computer and you’ve gone online to find those excellent job listings, your computer skills will undoubtedly give you a leg up when you’re actually sitting in that interview. If you’ve got great computer skills, your potential employers will be a lot more likely to consider hiring you, because you won’t be behind the competition in any way. Having a good degree of upper training isn’t really enough, anymore. Just about every job is going to find you working with a computer in one way or another these days, so it’s pretty important that you familiarize yourself with those versatile machines.
5. You Can Greatly Simplify Your Life. Clearly, there are a lot of practical and personal reasons why knowing how to use a computer can improve your life. What’s more is that a computer is great for organizing yourself and making things easier in a ton of ways. A laptop doesn’t have to be too big, and even if you use a desktop computer, you’ll be able to perform feats of organizational wonder with it. Digital photos and files don’t have to take up any space, can be searched through with incredible ease and efficiency, and the list doesn’t end there. When you know how to use a computer, there’s literally no limit to the ways that you can use it to improve your life.