The economy is unstable, to say the least, we don’t know if Social Security will come through for us (or even still be in existence) when we retire, and we keep hearing that we’re the part of the workforce that is least likely to get hired. CBS News even has a video titled Baby Boomers: America’s New Unemployables. That’s not exactly reassuring!
But Baby Boomers have a Secret Weapon that is more powerful than all of the gloom and doom and negative press. WE KNOW HOW TO USE OUR BRAINS! We are the largest and most successful generation in history, and we’ve had over 30 years experience in “making things happen”. Collectively, we’ve taken charge of the situations we’ve been faced with, looked head-on at the problems in front of us, and come up with a solution. How powerful is that!
So here we are again, looking at our situation, and trying to figure out “Where do I go from here?”
We may not have the answer to that question yet, but, rest assured, we will get it!
Luckily, there are road maps to help us get where we want to be. The steps are so simple that a child could follow them. As a matter of fact, they are the basic tenets of problem solving in child psychology. A good friend of mine, who is a child psychologist, calls them “your problem solving tools”. She advises her young patients to put them in their “problem solving kit”, and make sure they always carry it with them.
• The first tool is RECOGNITION. You must recognize that you have a problem before you can solve it.
• The second tool is DEFINITION. You may know that you have a problem, but if you don’t know what it is, you still can’t solve it.
• The third tool is RESOLUTION. And yes – YOU DO HAVE THIS TOOL! It may take a little while to become adept at using it, but if you actually “read the directions” you will become a master at using the resolution tool.
So… you’ve recognized that you have a problem and you’ve defined it; you need to find another job or career. Now, how do you go about resolving it?
It doesn’t matter if you’re a right brain person (Random/Intuitive) or a left brain person (Logical/Sequential/Rational). It doesn’t matter if you’re male or female. It doesn’t matter what problem you’re trying to solve; THE STEPS ARE THE SAME.
Lucky for you, you don’t have to take the first step by yourself. As a matter of fact, you don’t have to take any of the steps by yourself. We’re here to walk you through them! And, don’t get nervous; there are only 3 steps! How hard can that be? Hopefully, it will be as easy as 1,2,3.
- Boomer Job Search (boomersnextstep.com)
- Baby Boomers: Are You Prepared to Restructure Your Life? (boomersnextstep.com)